Sunday, October 26, 2008

Audio Hardware/Software Repsonses

Q: Discuss your experiences with building your microphones. Was this process more or less what you thought it would be? How did your microphone rig work on your Drift walks? Were you able to capture both overall ambiance and extreme closeups? Describe your ideal microphone and recorder setup, with unlimited time and money.

A: I thought that the overall experience building my microphone was very frustrating. It was difficult to strip the thin wires and then weld them without having them touch each other. The process of building the microphone was more than I though it would be, in that it required more time and effort than I thought it would. My microphone rig worked perfectly on my drift walk. I had no problems with it and it recorded the sounds well. My microphone rig was able to pick up both ambient and specific noises. My ideal microphone and recorder setup would be a high quality digital microphone recorder that was all self-contained.

Q: How was your experience with operating the MiniDisc recorder? How does this recorder compare to other audio equipment you've used? In an ideal world, how would your recorder of choice function?

A: My experience with the MiniDisc recorder was fairly good. In the beginning of my walk I forgot how to start recording and that frustrated me for a while, until I remembered and got it to work. The recorder is a little more confusing than other equipment I’ve used in the past, but the MiniDisc recorder worked fine. In an ideal world my recorder would be extremely simple, doing everything automatically with just a record and stop button.

Q: Discuss the audio-editing software you chose and your history with this application. If you used this software for the first time, explain why you chose this particular application and how you think it helped you to accomplish your creative goals (or proved detrimental). Will you use this software again for future projects?

A: The audio-editing software that I used was audacity. This was the first time I had used it and I found it to be fairly easy. I chose this software because it was straightforward and it was free. It helped me accomplish all of my audio editing techniques and has a lot of different functions. I will definitely use this software again in a future project. It is a simple but very extensive audio-editing software.

No comments: